As Episcopalians, we are members of the Anglican Communion. And that means we are part of an ancient and global church.
When Pope Gregory the Great sent St. Augustine of Canterbury and 40 monks to England in the sixth century to convert the Anglo-Saxons, Augustine encountered a Christian church that was already well-established. Today's Anglican Communion grew out of that early community and the continuing missionary efforts of the Church of England over the past 500 years; it consists of 38 self-governing provinces around the world and tens of millions of members in 164 countries. St. George's & St. Matthew's not only ministers to people in the local community but helps support the Anglican Church in Liberia and its bishop, the Rt. Reverend Jonathan Hart.
St. Matthew’s Episcopal Church was organized in 1888, in Sparrow's Point. St. George’s Church was consecrated in Dundalk in 1929. The two parishes merged in 1973, when the town of Sparrow’s Point was shuttered and St. Matthew's was forced to close its doors.
Today, we are a small parish—close-knit and faithful. We would be delighted to welcome you on any Sunday morning or at any of our other services, study groups, and activities.